Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Oh What A Day

Today was a pretty rough day. Charlie woke up and didn't want to got to school. I am not sure that I blame him. He said that his teacher will not allow him to have his comfy at school. While I can try to relate and understand what the teacher is trying to accomplish this is putting an emotional stress on my son. He uses his comfy as a calming technique and although I may not understand it completely, I don't see it harming anything. Earlier this year Charlie started coming home with wounds on his legs, neck or arms. After some thought and investigating we realized he was picking his skin during nap time. Now, he does this at home and we were working on it, but it wasn't occurring at school. I approached the teacher and spoke to her gave a few suggestions while I was at it.

Soon after the teacher stopped nap time, which was when my son was picking, and told him he didn't need to bring his pillowcase into school. I visited the school and observed my son in class. He was sitting in circle time and not participating. They sing certain songs every day so he should know them, and when his classmate went to shake his hand he didn't even reach it out to the kid. The other child actually picked my son's limp hand off his lap and shook it as they said hello to him. Charlie didn't even grin. I then listened as the teacher yelled at my son for chewing on his shirt. I approached the teacher about this at a later time and told her I didn't see a problem with it and unless she was going to redirect him to an acceptable "stim" then leave him alone. The teacher was not happy but I feel as if my son needs this stimulation in order to process what is going on around him. Anyone else have these issues with teachers? What do you feel is acceptable for our children's comfort? I mean this is an integrated special needs school. This teacher is in a setting where she must adapt to the children. I thought. Am I wrong?

Tonight, he came home from school and was not in a good mood at all. He wanted pumpkin pie and well, I didn't have any. Watch for yourself.... I stopped recording after a while because he wasn't calming and I needed to intervene differently, but, in the end he was happy eating an ice cream sandwich and orange sherbert. The funniest thing is I had asked him if he would like that instead like 5 times. Grrrrrr...........



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't watch the vid, but trust me I got the point earlier. Hope he has a better day tomorrow. Maybe you should buy some pie???

Unknown said...

ROFLMAO..... Not funny!!!!!

dotcomkari said...

I truly hope that he has a better day tommorrow.

And I truly think that the teacher needs to be more accepting your child's needs. She should understand him for all his Quirks and needs. If not I would ask to speak to the prinicpal or something.

As for the video.. it reminds me so much of my son when he wants something. Kai gets very angry when he doesn't get it right now!

PS: I am now hungry for pumpkin pie! :P

Lora said...

The teacher should accommodate his needs and allow him to have his comfy like you said, what's the harm?

The video reminds me of Griffin when he doesn't get what he wants. Griffin hits too and we are working on that issue. I am glad that Charlie was finally satisfied with the ice cream sandwich and orange sherbert.