Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Gifts of 2010

Every Wednesday over at Jillsy Girl She does a One Word Wednesday, Here she posts a word and you can link up adding a song, post, picture to describe what this word means to you. For me it is a great start for a post and leaves me thinking about it for a day or two. Most people will think of all the fabulous gifts that they could give or receive during this season, but in my home gifts are not of that importance. I mean, my kids love them but I try not to allow them to fall into the commercialized trap of Christmas. There is so much more than that. We used to make cookies and bring them to the Veterans hospital but since my dad passed away, that has been extremely hard for me to do.

I have the gift of children (although sometimes I wonder if this is a gift or a curse). For the moment, as they are sleeping in their beds, and I am drinking a nice hot cup of coughing coffee while hacking my brains out, it is peaceful and quiet and I may think about all the wonderful times I have with my children. I can consider whom I would be without them and like who I am with them. Perfect?? Nope, not even close. But I do what I can do and it isn't easy. It is heart warming though when they give you snuggles and on weekends when they awake and crawl into bed with you. These are the gifts that I receive with open arms.
The gift of children and family

While some may disagree, I feel that Autism was a gift for my family as well. Yes, it causes struggles and can be painful (in many ways), but it has made my family stronger. It has opened our eyes to whole different view. That I am thankful for. Now, I appreciate the smaller, finer details in life. The moments that I feel I had taken advantage of with my older children. The hugs, kisses, long chats.... I love you Mommy's when things are really tough. I look back and notice that at those times I would just say yeah, I love you too but now I find myself engulfed in the moment. Autism has changed my life and it isn't all for the better but it has changed my perspective. My kids are amazing and I have gained so much strength from the struggles and the triumphs.
The gift of acceptance


The gift of friends


The greatest gift I have found this year, and no I am not kissing any butts, is my friends and some family, I have found here and on Facebook. Whether you know it or not, you guys do a lot for me. Commenting on my craziness, acknowledging the difficulties, and filling my mind with funny and enlightening ways to cope. This helps me get through my, sometimes seemingly endless days (and sometimes nights).  I have compiled many friends, some who are more like family than my own, that openly have opened their arms to accept my quirky family and I. I thank you all for that. The gifts that I have are right under my nose and really don't take a lot to think about. I just had to redefine society's interpretation of gift as it means so much more to me.




Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Truthful Mommy said...

I love your perspective. You see the good in things.It is hard for me to stay positive because of the inundation of all the obligations. I am working on changing that and trying to appreciate all teh "gifts" in my life. Happy Mothering,my friend:)

Anonymous said...

First...Welcome to OWW! So nice to meet you! I have just taken some time to navigate your blog and find out more about you and your family. You have a wonderful outlook on life! I truly admire your optimism. You have a gorgeous family that obviously gives you lots of joy and pride. A wonderful gift to wake up to each day! :-)

Sally G. said...

I do hope your cough eases sooner than later. Gosh, it can sure hurt after awhile.

I imagine that one of the gifts of parenting a child with Autism might be the need to be fully Present, to engage completely on all levels.

I find myself 'drifting' sometimes when with my children. My mind might wander if their stories become repetitious, or I might start thinking about the next thing I have to do, or what's not presently getting done. This is such a disservice to a child ~ and I pull myself into the moment when I find a 'drift' is occurring.

Being wholly present for another brings Love to a beautiful level ~ and I'll bet you do that.

Thank you ...

Anonymous said...

It is tough enough to keep a good perspective when you're in the middle of active parenting, and I know from being involved in Jobs4Autism.com what an extra challenge have a child with autism must present. You have a wonderful attitude, though, and remind me to be grateful for things I take for granted all too often. Beautiful post! Hope your cough is better!