Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mall Santas


I took my children to see the Santa in the mall. Yes, you heard me right, the mall Santa. I know, what was I thinking!! I know what goes on with a lot of them. Those shady creatures. I mean come on, take a close look at the pictures I posted!! They were taken 5 - 10 minutes apart. Santa said he had to feed his Reindeer and came back like that!! You would think that they would at least have a uniformed costume. My son actually recognized the difference in his beard. Santa's elves explained that he had to trim it down because he would be eating a lot of cookies soon and they would get stuck in his beard. I understand that Mall Santas get tired at the end of their shift but they really should attempt to play the role for the joy of the children.

The first Santa we saw was very abrupt and wouldn't let the kids sit on his lap unless I stated I was buying a picture. He actually asked my son if Mommy was paying for a picture before he would allow him to sit on his lap. Then he was still very impersonal. I had them take the picture and then he had to take a break. After a few minutes Santa came back and this time he looked entirely different. His beard was real and his suit was vibrant and neat. His attitude was wonderful. 

He inquired as to why my son had head phones on. I explained that the mall is too busy for him and the head phones help. Santa seemed concerned that Charlie looked a little spacey and it was then that I explained. It was the sweetest response out of dear Santa. He took the time to talk to Charlie and he didn't even mind if Charlie was rubbing his comfy suit! He was an amazing Santa. So I then had to get another photo done cause I liked the second Santa so much more. 

As for the costumes that my boys were wearing, well, gotta pick your battles and I honestly feel that I get stares and odd looks without the costumes due to odd behaviors. It really didn't make a difference. They were happy and Charlie tolerated the day better than most. Hey, maybe I should let him go out as Batman all the time. LOL... He must think it gives him superpowers to handle all the sounds, lights and people.  I am not saying we had a meltdown free day but, it was much then I expected and in the end I can classify our outing a huge success even though my kids were in costume and I was so sick. I ventured out to allow them a fun filled day out of the house. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Jessica Hester said...

I'm so glad the second Santa was so understanding! R is not ready for something like that just yet, but maybe we will try it next year. I know there are places that have "sensitive santa" (at least here in Minnesota), which I find awesome! Glad you had such a successful outing!

Dotcomkari said...

Wow.. there is really a difference between the two santas. You would think they wouldn't do that in the middle of a session or at least use the same outfit or something. Wow.

The first Santa seems like a jerk. Our santas here are like that. You can not even get in line to see santa unless you are buying a photo. That is just wrong. It is like Santa is just in it for the money, it is sad.

The second Santa seems like a good hearted one though, that is great .
I am looking around our town for an understanding Santa to see Kai. Kai loves Santa as well as my other two.. but I do not want him having a bad experince with one.. so I am doing my research before hand! *L*

Unknown said...

I've added your blog to the Autism Blogs Directory!

KWombles

24 Paws of Love said...

What a difference one person or Santa can make. It sounds like you and your children were able to get what you needed from your outing and somebody understood that. Sounds like you had a wonderful day together. Very happy for you.

Firefly2823 said...

I wouldnt care of what my child was wearing in the mall.I went to Target yesterday and seen an adult wearing her P.J's no not just p.j bottoms the whole zip down the front and feet to it.and top it all off she had on a bright yellow winter hat.Yea ok now you talk about your kids I can see kids wearing that stuff in stores but come on now when it comes to a grown up.well thats where I am leaveing that at.


Getting on to the santa part the first santa I would report into head santa cause he had no right in saying any of that.Glad I wasn't there I would of knock his butt off the chair.Come on now what ever happen to for the love of childen? Does money really matter ..It wont to me when it comes to kids.well at least the 2nd santa was better glad to see that the kids got to see santa 2 x's..