Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An Active Yet Slap in the Face Day

Today was a pretty good day. Charlie was very talkative and active. He did seem to get upset very easy and has been having accidents a lot lately. He just isn't making it to the bathroom and is extremely attached to his beloved pillowcase. The pillowcase was at the point where he only needed it at night but he is bringing it everywhere again.

Charles also had horse therapy today and was very unfocused. His therapist could not keep him on task. He was also parroting a lot. She worked on his counting skills which he has a lot of difficulties with. He cannot count over 5 and sometimes he still messes that up. It is a little frustrating as a mom to know that you work on these skills everyday with him and he still isn't learning them. That make me feel incompetent. I know it isn't really like that but it is a feeling that I do have. You know sort of like the ,"Why my son? What did I do wrong" Just the self pity I tend to fall into occasionally. It happens to the best of us right. Most of the times when I am feeling like this is right after a meeting or testing score. That is when it all just smacks me in the face. Well, th night didn't end there.

He has his moments and at times I do not know how to handle him. It is amazing how other people can approach the child with the same options I would be able to do but it works for them. My son wanted Yogurt for snack tomorrow but I forgot my wallet at home so it was impossible to get him it. We got home and someone offered him crackers with cheese and cereal which he was all for having. I think sometimes I cannot even think straight to offer up other solutions. I would have chosen go home get the wallet and buy the yogurt, but that would not have been reasonable and would have shown my son that screaming like a banshee would get him what he wanted. So, we came home and he was offered some choices which he willingly made a choice and with a smile on his face. It is nice to see that occasionally my son can interact with someone else in a positive manner. I thank those who will take that time when I have seemingly had all I could take. People who can maintain the calm that I happened to lose for the moment.


Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is a normal trait. When my eldest was little we used to call her Sybil (a lady with multiple personalities), because she was so good for other people and impossible for us. Nobody saw how ill tempered she could be except for us, and she is not autistic.

Unknown said...

I think that it's like that for everybody. Eli tries to get away with tons of things at home that he would never dream of trying at school. They say that you're doing it right when your kid is secure enough to show his "true colors" to you--at least that's what I tell myself.

Sofia's Ideas said...

I remember these days all too well - the therapeutic riding, the echolalia, the emotions of it all. They said my daughter "might" be able to talk again, but would probably need to be institutionalized, etc. They didnt give us much hope at all. But, look at her now - 12 years old, and a few years after being declassified from autism. We proved them all wrong.

It was a journey filled with many ups and downs, but looking back on our life with autism? I actually can't imagine our history without it.

I know you probably already know "Welcome to Holland" by heart but I just want to share something with you that a friend shared with me when I was having a "why me, why my son and daughter?" day... She said "different people have different kids, but special people have special kids." And that made all the difference in my life...

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I know this game well. People often tell me that my three year old is adorable and "behaves so well". Yeah. Right. Live with him for a week. Ya know?

Melissa said...

Glad to hear he had a good day! I love the quote that Sofia posted.

Lora said...

It's the same thing with Griffin and other people and it makes me feel like an idiot sometimes. How they can have so much patience with him and how he reacts to them so well, but it seems that I am raising my voice and losing my patience all the time. You are not alone!