Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Missing Comfy Alert

This is Orange Bear

This is a full size pic of the two comfies













Charlie went to school this morning with both of his comfies. Their names are Orange Bear and Doggie. I am on an all out hunt for these poor missing friends of my son's. When he came home from school he did not have them with him. I called the school and they said they were in his backpack, but they were not. I also called the bus company but no luck there either. We have no clue where they are and my son is NOT happy!!! He cried after school and then he was crying at bedtime. I did happen to purchase a spare "Doggie", and I gave it to him, but he wants his old Doggie back. Truth is, so do I!!! The questions remain, "Will he last through the night?, Is he gonna get on the bus in the morning?" These questions will undoubtedly be answered tomorrow. They also result in my desire to reunite Charlie with his comfies. These comfies keep me sane and keep him comfortable.


 As important as they are for him, I want you to understand why they mean so much to me as well. I know I have spoken about his comfies before briefly, but I want to be a little more descriptive. Doggie has been in our house the longest and he was bought when Charlie saw him at a shopping trip. I thought I could get away with buying him a one dollar matchbox but nope, he wanted Doggie. Doggie was a ten dollar dog toy, that is actually a fox (don't tell my son that though). He is very soft and comfy and his head and tail have squeekies in them. Charlie doesn't like that part too much.

You would usually find Doggie wrapped around Charlie's neck. It was Doggies favorite spot and Charlie loved how comfy Doggie was. Doggie kept my house a little calmer and helped Charlie go to sleep easier too. Doggie went everywhere with my son, school, therapy, the store, the park, ect. They share many memories. Just last night Charlie was insistent that Doggie, and Orange Bear needed vitamins as well and they even help him eat his eggs in the morning. They are active members of my household and we want them back.

I have told you the story behind Doggie and feel compelled to share Orange Bears story as well. Orange bear belonged to Charlie's Dad, then his brother and now him. He stumbled upon Orange Bear at the very bottom of his brother's toy box and has been stuck to him ever since. Orange Bear has even gone on the horse with him. He loves him. A good part of this is because he is orange and orange is Charlie's favorite color, but also how soft and comfy he is. Charlie has Sensory Processing Disorder and he really likes soft items. If you have something really comfy and want to keep it in your possession, don't let him see or feel it.

These comfies are like people to Charlie. He talks to them, talks through them and loves them. They sleep, eat, and play with him. They are his best friends. Children on the spectrum tend to find it difficult to gain and maintain friendships. Charlie counters this difficulty with his comfies. He will talk to another child through his comfy. I found this interesting. He is problem solving sort of, cause he is attempting to socialize.  What could have happened to his precious friends is a mystery. Many thoughts wonder in my head. One is that maybe this was the teachers way of finalizing the fact that she didn't want the comfies in school, but I don't want to accuse. It is also possible that the aide put them in the wrong backpack. I like the later explanation better but whatever may have happened I do hope that they will come back home.







Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Jennifer C said...

That is horrible that they are lost, I feel for him and you. I don't know what we would do without Sierra's Dirty Elmo, he is part of her. I wish you all the luck in your search for them.

mama apples said...

I can't imagine Tinkerbell losing her "Mou". Did his comfies show back up?