Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello There From Our Planet

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My name is Charlene and I am 31 years old. I love photography and started this blog to write about my journey into another world. I am a single mom of four wonderful sarcastic monsters children.

 Krystal is a twelve year old girl who can sing like an angel. Jocelyn is a seven year old girl who is very smart but sassy. Jacob is six and loves Mario. Lastly Charles who is a four year old boy that has changed my entire world. You see, after having three children, I thought  was well prepared when I had my fourth. Hold them, rock them, play with them, teach them, love them, change their diapers. That covers the baby stuff right? Nope!!!!

What if your baby doesn't like to be held, doesn't coo, hates diapers, and the only thing you can do right is feed them? I was so lost. My son Charles has Autism Spectrum Disorder. He never cooed or wanted to be touched. There was no connection, and as he got older he just wasn't meeting his milestones. He didn't walk tll after he turned two and didn't speak until he was three(even then you couldn't understand him). So much for being prepared eh?
100_1565-bImage by Frozen in Time Photographers via Flickr
I felt as if the whole planet had tilted and I dropped off into orbit for a while until I finally landed on a planet we call Autism. This has been a rough road and not just for me but for everyone involved in my life. Family that can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea. It is hard to connect with a child that seems to have no motivation to connect with you. It just takes more effort though. He is an amazing young man but our days are long and don't forget there are three other children involved.

This has been a big adjustment for them too. We used to be able to have big family gathering and go all sorts of places but now these things are limited. They have to tolerate the screaming for hours that I myself have a hard time dealing with. I invite you to join me and my children on our exciting, odd, enlightening trip on the planet Autism. We welcome you into our world.


Lazy Meet & Greet

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to meet You! (visiting from Lazy Mom's Meet & Greet)

My boys are all on the autism spectrum- sort of. the oldest just barely- he's more of Dyslexia, Auditory Processing, Sensory Issues, ADD. My middle was considered Moderately Autistic until he was 7. (he didn't communicate much until he was 6, though he started playing with words (talking) when he was 3ish.)
My youngest has Sensory Processing Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome (which is what the middle boys' DX is now)


but I rarely go around using those given labels.
feel free to stop by blog!

thanks for sharing your Bio!

Stacey said...

Thanks for linking up, I know this is a huge challenge mother's are experiencing everywhere these days.

The Lazy Mom
www.imalazymom.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honesty! You are an amazing mom!

Unknown said...

Visiting from Lazy Mom's Meet and Greet. Nice to meet you!

Mariah said...

Hi there! Stopping by to follow you from the Lazy Mom's Meet and Greet!

http://mommybrainedmadness.blogspot.com

Lora said...

Hi there Charlene, It is nice to meet you and to find out more about your children. It has been a joy to read your blog and enjoy all the wonderful photographs.