Monday, January 31, 2011

Seeing The Whole Picture

Somethings come with time and they seem as if they will never happen. Our children seem to accomplish things on an entirely different timeline then most. I do believe though that it will happen when they are ready. This goes for everything and then when they do happen they are not overlooked. AT ALL!!! We see these "small" accomplishments and rejoice to see progress.

My son potty trained amazingly by age three. I hear that is a big deal with all of his challenges. I was thrilled that I had been able to teach him such a trying task. It wasn't entirely easy, but I guess I had the upper hand. He did not like and could not handle diapers. The feel of them on his skin really bothered him. He hated being wet and well, poop was horrible for him. I guess that explains why he was poop trained before pee. Isn't that the opposite? Point is together we accomplished it and it was a celebration. We did this before he was verbal!! That shows me a glimpse of his determination.

The only thing he has had trouble with was wiping and he would just scream until I went in to help him. Today he said he had to go poop. I knew I had to follow him in there in a minute and so I did. I was ecstatic to see that my son was wiping himself on his own. It was the first time ever!!! I am so proud of him and it was just the boost I needed. We have been having a really tough week and this was a spectacular beginning to a wonderful week.

I am sure that we will have many hurdles to jump over and times of frustration, but these so called small moments make it a lot easier. When I think back 3 years ago, I had a little boy who couldn't speak at all. He still had a smile that could light up a whole country. Three years ago, my days were filled with physical aggression and screaming non stop. Two years ago, I still had a non verbal son who barely looked at me.  One year ago, I had a son that was hardly understood and I hadn't slept in 3 years.

Thinking about that has made me realize that we have made progress. I went from a son that couldn't walk, talk, or have any eye contact. He didn't know his numbers or colors, and the therapists thought he had hearing loss. He was a very angry toddler and bit constantly. I was always on egg shells and he had no fear and felt no pain. Today, he knows how to count to five and he knows most of his colors. He speaks well, walks and looks at me every now and then. I am happy to be his mom and I think that he is happy I am his mom.

So for today I leave you with the thoughts that every small accomplishment snowballs into something wonderful. It is something that we can't see in a week, month and possibly year. We have to look back and reflect on where you were and where you are know. Together you will accomplish great things. Sometimes it takes patience, understanding, determination, and encouragement but it can be done. Look beyond what you see everyday, I guarantee you will see growth in your child as well as yourself.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: