Tuesday, January 11, 2011

UnFlucking Believable

My first son, Buddy, lives primarily with his Dad which is where he attends school. This is a different school district than I am in. I ask his father about school and he keeps telling me he is doing great. I thought everything was okay because I had not heard anything different. Until the phone call I received yesterday as I was drinking my first cup of coffee of the day. The call was to reschedule a meeting that I didn't even get invited to.Imagine, going through the school year thinking everything was fine until someone calls you to reschedule a meeting that you never heard about. Yes, this is what happened. Communication is important with any school but especially when you are dealing with special needs children.  Oh, I got the letter from the school about the meeting today. It was postmarked yesterday!!!

Well, the teacher just called me. She says this is a follow up meeting. That means that there was a meeting in the past and guess who was present. No one!!!!! I wasn't even informed about the meeting. I am so mad. I would have been present and he should have been more aware and advocated for him.   OK... I keep bouncing on and off the computer to write this and I just got out of the meeting with the school. His father was there and every other person that works with him was there as well. I found it disturbing that my son was reading at a level zero in September but he is now at a level 5. He should be a level 8. At least he is improving right?

He has a 504 plan and it has not been followed. Although I have yet to be informed of the final meeting either. I know he was eligible.They claimed that they never received the script from the doctor for Occupational Therapy. I knew that wasn't true because I was the person who called and dealt with the doctors to get everything they needed. His father brought one to them and I had three of them faxed to them. Needless to say she went to look in his folder and Tadah, there it was, sitting in his folder was the script from the doctor for OT. I wanted to jump through the phone, as I was doing a conference call meeting. All this time he has not been getting OT and they had everything they needed to start. Grrr... this makes me so angry.

Well to jump ahead to the point he is having difficulties all the way around. He cannot focus, is easily upset, seems like he is in another world, cannot seem to process what he is reading and sometimes even what the teacher is saying to him. He is a sweet boy who loves school but seems to have a really hard time with it. They said he even has trouble following directions. So I said I want him to have a full evaluation. They were in agreeance. The pediatrician wants him to see a neurologist and so does the school. We have an appointment to discuss the school meeting with the doctor on Thursday. We shall see how it goes. One day at a time with both fixsts clenched, gritting and grinding my teeth praying I don't kill anyone. Wish me luck.......

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: