Sunday, January 30, 2011

Emergency Meltdown Kit

My son is having serious meltdowns. It is so hard to just sit there through them seeing him so upset. This all gets harder when he is flailing his arms and screaming in my face. I start losing my patience and feeling overwhelmed. Anyone else feel like this? I think I have the solution. It may differ for different children but hey, it is a thought.

I think I am going to make a kit just for meltdowns.This kit will include some damage control, first aid, armor for me, and calming things for him. It just might work. You might ask how I came up with this idea and so I am going to tell you. Chucky had another meltdown today. It was really bad although I didn't get slapped today just kicked a little. Then I took a deep breathe and sat back. Every so often in a calm voice I said,"When you calm down we can talk" Eventualy after a lot of screaming and kicking, he calmed long enough for me to suggest an alternative calming tool. This worked wonders. Now I will share with you exactly what my son found so calming along with the other items I wish to include in my kit. 

  1. Bullion Cubes- It doesn't matter what flavor, they are pretty much harmless. But, if your child like to build they are amazing. I don't cook with them but instead I buy them for my son's fine motor development. He can stack them, unwrap them, build with them.. ect. They work wonders and when I really need him to take a breather I know I can rely on the trusty bullion cubes. 
  2. Comfy Stuffed Animal or Pillow- My son finds it soothing to have a comfy when he is upset so this might be something good to keep in the kit.
  3. Mouth Guard- to protect my teeth from those terrible blows to the mouth.
  4. Drum Set- This worked wonders. It was a perfect defuser. He got to hit something but not a person and he loved the reaction sounds. 
  5. A Padded Suit - This is to protect my skin from all the bruises that I am constantly getting. 
  6. Bandaids - Just in case we need one 
  7. Ice- most times after a serious melt one of us needs this
  8. Music - to calm him 
My son said this was his sister Chipmunk and him jumping on a trampoline.
The pile to the side is dirt he says. This is one of his creations after a meltdown.

I think this completes my list of items I shall include in my emergency kit. I am not so sure how to fit a drum set in a kit but I am welcome to any suggestions. Do you think an Emergency Kit would help you? What would you put in yours? 






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: