Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wishing for a Volume Button

I am sure every parent has had moments they wish their child had a mute button. This could be for many reasons. Maybe you have a child like my sister's who will tell anyone near him how you need to buy raid because you have cockroaches all over your house. Perhaps more of the curious one who ponders over things in her head and then at the most inopportune time shouts out,"Mom, What is SEX?", as you are sitting in a restaurant eating. One of my favorites is when my youngest first started talking. He deleted the first consonant of every word for a really long time. We were walking through the store one day and he starts sing songing,"Shit, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit...", without deleting the s!!  Yes, these all qualify as reasons for a mute button but what about a volume button. 

My son speaks so loud that I am certain all my neighbors hear every conversation this child has. Today, after picking him up from his father's house, he started talking and spoke for 15 minutes straight until we got home. The whole time he was speaking really loud. My daughter actually stated that his voice was comparable to a gunshot. LOL... She hunts. I think the best part of it was when I felt the need to ask a question and he gritted his teeth saying,"you annoying meeeee." I really tried not to laugh really but ummm... seriously?? This was a new word for my son. As if that was not enough, it didn't end there.

We get in the house and he has a screaming meltdown. Please may I have a volume button now!! No better yet a mute button. Well, maybe a rewind button so I can figure out what the hell triggered him and try to fix it. Anyway here I go on a tissy, He was yelling about the TV. Already?? We had only been home for 5 minutes. He hit someone and I am so flabbergasted about it I cant even think about who, so I took him up to his room and tried to calm him down. Not too bad, ten minutes later we were back on track. Whew, I thought that was going to be an all nighter. He sat down to play with his sister and I thought all was good, until I moved the cards. What was I thinking? Why don't I just stay away from him tonight? I thought I was helping but into another melt. This time not so easy. It took about a half hour and I had to carry him upstairs while he was kicking and screaming. May I get that volume button now? I gave him a really tight hug to try to calm him and after a couple kicks at mom he calmed down. 

There was only one other major incident and actually I should say it could have been major but my boyfriend decided to try out my method and when Charlie went swinging at him he took him gently in a big tight hug and held him. He waited a minute and asked Charlie if he was ready to go and about two minutes later Charlie said yes and that was it. He had a smile and went running off to play.

I could really use a volume button during all these melt downs. This past summer I actually had my neighbor inquire on what was going on over at my house. They said,"It sounds like you are killing him!!" I then had to explain about my son's melt downs and apologize for all the noise, especially because it was happening all night long. They were very understanding about it and even asked a few questions about Autism. I do feel that a volume button would be an asset as I am getting very frequent migraines. LOL.. 

The opposite side of this is there are times that he talks, like when he needs something, that he speaks really low. Volume button please. While I love hearing my son speak a little volume control would be nice. This way when you are walking through the store and he starts talking about how Mommy has her.....volume down.lol...

Related Articles and Blogs: