Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Talk-a-Holic

Just pivot, I said to myself today as I was reading my daughter's report card. I am sure I have mentioned how hard it is to sit down with her and do homework. My youngest is breathing down my neck and screaming every time I try to offer her some help. Eventually I am told by my daughter to forget it cause she can't hear what I am saying any way. Boy how I wish that I had an extra set of hands to be able to help her and work with my youngest to keep him occupied. Regardless of that, surprisingly the flaw is not in the homework area actually the teacher had commented that she shows good homework effort. So, Where is the problem??

She can't keep her mouth shut for one. I knew that here at home but apparently she can't stop talking in school either. Ummm... I am not sure what to do about this. Duct tape??? kidding!!! She is talking so much she got a C in Art. I can't even see that as a possibility. This kid is smart and I just don't know what to do about this one. I can't even find the positive intent. I guess she could have been trying to be friendly or trying to help everyone else but umm... Damn this Mommy thing is so hard.

So, I am going to breathe and try not to yell and explain the importance of her schooling. I really don't think she will care right now but hey, it is worth a shot. I will also explain when it is OK to socialize and when her brain needs to be thinking with her mouth shut. I just can't figure out how to be positive with this chat. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.  HELP!!!!!
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Positive?
While I understand not exploding at her I think "firm" might be better than "positive". Firmly (and calmly) explain your expectations of her. Tell her you expect her to stop socializing during learning time. I use "ears open, mouth shut" as my tag line. Tell Krystal that you will start getting weekly status updates of her concentration and focus concentration from her teachers and that her access to computer/TV/games/friends all depend on that weekly update. I think after losing privliges for a week or two she will remember to concentrate. That is what works in my household anyway.

Natalia said...

Maybe there's an underlying issue of, since there's so much going on at home, she doesn't feel she can just talk with you when she wants, so she overcompensates by talking too much at school. Maybe something good for her would be sleepovers; allowing her to stay at a friend's house for a night every month or so. I also agree that a talk is needed for her to understand that while class is going on, she should try to control her impulse to talk. I'm not quite sure how to make that happen though. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Not every child is a honors student. She's just entering her teen years and might be having difficulty adjusting to balancing her teen life with her education. It's important to offer up problem solving suggestion. (Let's both think about ways to help you keep your social life and still get the grades you are capable of getting) and I also think that it is possible that as the work is getting harder, her grades might drop some. She did good in the subjects she likes, but that is understandable. ANY child that enjoys the subject will usually excel in it. She isn't failing which says she isn't failing to try.