Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday- Lost Identity

Anybody else lost their identity since motherhood? I am a mom, first and foremost but I am so much more as well. I need some help because my name has now disappeared and become Krystal, Jocelyn, Jacob and Charlie's mom!  I think by the time I have wandered into the years of freedom again not only will I not understand the concept of drinking hot coffee but I may not even remember my name. 

It is either I am related to as someone's mother or the mother with a child on the spectrum. I can see it now, I am 50 yrs old and I walk into the restaurant I have always dined at and the waiter says,"Hi Charlie's mom I will seat you now."  LOL...  I was almost mortified when I went to a parent teacher meeting and not once did she address me by my name. It was,"Hi, You must be Krystal's mom. She is such a sweet young lady.", and ending the meeting with,"It was a pleasure to meet you Krystal's mom." Where did I go?  At one point I even told my children they could call me by my given name in hopes to protect my identity. But then, I found them using it when they were mad and saying, No Charlene I don't want to. That stopped quickly and again I was thrown into the crisis of a multiple personality disorder gone wrong. 

The person I was born as has slowly disappeared. I don't even know what to do with myself when I don't have children in tow. Now, this does not happen often, yet this weekend I found myself playing Mario just to have some normal in my life. Scary, I know. I even went into my son's bedroom to "check" on him, but the problem is he wasn't home. I am determined to find Charlene and if you see her can you tell her I am looking for her? You can refer to me as MOM or advocate, or well anything that pertains to the children in my life. Now I am not complaining but this double life is taking a toll on me as I seem to have lost my double, and I can't find it. 

Does anyone know how I might regain my identity? Can we actually lead a double life, or should I adjust to this change of name? My identity remains lost in the mist of motherhood. Does yours?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I'm trying to lead the double life of a mum who can still go out and have a drink with friends but then come home and deal with the washing up of the bottles and everything else that is handed to you when you become a mother. Im yet to be called Oli's mum , going to be strange when that becomes my new name instead of being called 'Emma'!

jazzygal said...

Oh yeah, that sounds familiar!!

The person you were born has not exactly disappeared...rather she has evolved ;-) And d'ya know what... she's still evolving. perhaps renewing an interest in an old hobby of yours might bring the old Charlene a little bit to the fore?

I renewed my interest in dancing...which also involved me in the local community! It's been great I must say! I love my home "job" but it's nice to include a bit of the old me ;-)

xx Jazzy

Unknown said...

Wow I think your read my mind or is it my mind anymore?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't know who I am anymore either. I've been replaced by a nagging b*&^! LOL. It must be motherhood???

dotcomkari said...

Wow.. you took the words right out of my mouth on this one! I rarely get called by my name anymore.. I am always mom. Even my husband calls me mom. *L*