Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Another Parenting Book to Try

My sister bought a book. Not just any old book, but a book that was recommended by her son's school. Honestly, I am not too thrilled with the schools, so I really can't be sure how much I trust their suggestions on anything let alone parenting. But, I figure what can I lose, I will take the trip with her and attempt to survive another parenting intervention. I am not saying I am a bad parent but hey we all have room for improvement and I really don't like yelling. It is amazing how easy it is to do something that you totally despise yourself. I want to fix that and well, I am going to.


I went through today with the thoughts to remain calm and not to yell. I wanted to put focus on what I want to achieve instead of what I don't want. I think I did pretty good as I only started to yell once. As I heard my tone rising I pivoted. I turned around and said,"I am feeling upset. If I am upset I am focusing on what I don't want. Do I want that in my life?" This feels really weird but yet I intend on following the book Easy to love, Difficult to Discipline, by Dr. Bailey.  As a matter of fact my twelve year old asked me who I was talking too as she gave me a really strange look. When I told her myself she just walked away as if she didn't even want to go there. She might think it is strange but, damn, I haven't yelled at her all day. I gave my daughter a hug and a kiss before bed and she took a shower tonight. I had a pretty good day.


Did everything get done? No, but to tell you the truth I accomplished a lot. I home schooled my four year old today and I even enjoyed it.Charlie counted to ten with me and we did some physical therapy with his exercise ball. We read books, did some music and played with Bullion cubes. Bullion cubes are a really great occupier for when Mommy is cooking. Just make sure that they are individually wrapped. They don't taste good but they won't do any harm if eaten. Best of all, they are a wonderful fine motor activity. It also works to do mimicking.(See what I built, can you do the same thing?) I think it is good that he enjoys learning. We also worked on colors and speech. All of that and I even did dinner, two loads of laundry, and swept the kitchen and living room floors.


I am so proud of my little ones. They are all growing so fast. I also tried out a virtual online school for Autism. Before I talk too much about it I want to really feel comfortable. Charlie seems to like it, for a few minutes at a time. I am considering taking him out of public schools and home schooling. I really can't decide because honestly, I am so tired I am falling asleep blogging. I am exhausted and also really sore. I wish I could say that I understand what the school goes through now, but I can't compare the two. I am one person and I prepare meals, give bathes, do laundry, clean house and now schooling too. They have many teachers working together to do what I did alone. I am not saying that the teachers don't do enough I am saying that the district doesn't give them any lee way to teach anymore. They have to program them. They don't have time to teach anymore and I think it is sad. Well, I am tired and really need to go to bed cause I am starting to rant and that is for another blog. Hey, maybe tomorrow. I will be posting a yelling log at the end of every post until I master this skill. Ummm... slight hesitation as I stated that. LOL.. I only yelled twice today and one of them was at the cat so does that count?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: