Monday, November 8, 2010

November 7, 2010

Today was a day filled with joy and mixed with a little sadness. I am sure I have mentioned how often we as parents have overlooked the little things with typical children because they occur frequently. I am trying to make sure that I do not overlook things. It is my goal as a mom to be observant and acknowledging all of my children's accomplishments no matter how small. I say this because as a mom of special needs I tend to be so overwhelmed and occupied with my son that my daughter will try to talk to me (usually when I am in the middle of doing something else), that I tell her to wait a sec and then I forget.
My first born turned twelve years old and it was a very happy day. There was a lot of people and a lot of noise at times but that is to be expected. Birthday parties at my house have really stepped down a lot since I had my son Charles who is autistic. He can't handle a lot of people and really doesn't like a lot of noise, although he is not a quiet child. I made a vow this year to let my daughter's birthday be all about her and if that meant that my son was a little overwhelmed I would have to help him through it. I made sure that he had a place to go for alone quiet time and I made sure that all who was coming was aware of his quirks. I instructed everyone to be respectful with him not wanting to be touched, and if he was good with a hug to make it a tight squeeze as he doesn't like light touches.  All in all the party went really well, and my son took his space when he needed it. Some of the children asked questions and I received a few comments,"He seems so lost" but I just said this is a lot for him. He was very over stimulated by evening but he went to sleep well.



                                                                                                         
 As for my daughter,   She really said something to me that made me feel like a million dollars. Before I tell you what she said I want to explain a little about Krystal. Krystal was my angel born on November 7 1998. She was 7 lb. 4 oz and was a beautiful baby full of life. She was very sick until about a year and a half and I almost lost her about 10 times. She would just stop breathing. So... scary as a mom and although I had taken an infant CPR course I froze when it was my little girl. She grew each year and was such a bright young lady. Once I had my last son my patience seems to have become almost nill. At least I think so although I am working really hard on that one. My son takes all my time and my daughter is so understanding but I know it bothers her. I have started to ensure that she gets some kind of "Mommy time" even if it is just a half hour. I am one person. I seem to expect a lot from her and get frustrated so easily. But, I love her so much and I want her to know that. I really wasn't sure how she felt about it, but I do know that Krystal had the biggest smile on her face for the entire day yesterday. It was wonderful. At the end of the evening, She looked at me and said,"Mommy, I am so glad I have you. I love you so much" I had tears rolling down my face and I just hugged her and told her how much I love her too. She has grown into such an amazing young lady and I guess I have a huge part in that. Here are a few pics of her special day starting with a very special one of the man who resuscitated her many times when she was a baby and still is here for her. Although not a biological father he is and always will be her Dad. I thank him for that.                                    




Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's good Krystal had a good day! Don't beat yourself us too much....even parents without a child with special needs have trouble juggling all the kids sometimes!