Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Traveling Crocodile Companian

My son Chucky has a Facebook page, where he has met many other children with Autism. The page is written and monitored by me. The whole thing started because my page had become all about him and advocating for him. I wanted my space back. I know that is selfish right? I don't care!! Every bit of my world revolves around my children and I wanted something of my own. So, his Facebook emerged.

Basically it is a page where people who were interested in knowing how he was doing and noting milestones could see them. No one can search for him. They can only request him through a friend of his's page. I am very selective about who I accept. My son loves his page. He enjoys reading everyone's comments to him and he really enjoys seeing the pictures of children that are like him. He has made a couple very close friends. This has given him some socialization. He wants to talk to his friends on the computer and he looks to see what is going on.

It is also wonderful for me. I can talk to other Mom's who understand. They know what I am going through and can give me reasonable solutions that they have tried with their angels. Well, I am not writing to justify my son having a Facebook page because I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it. I am not trying to be rude either just honest. My son met a little boy Jake on his page and has been communicating through pictures and their diaries for about six months now. Jake's mom and I are sure to read the comments to them and show them the pictures as well. We also have mail correspondence.

The other day Jake's mom and I had discussed sending a crocodile to stay in Australia for a month and during this month they would take pics of him in Australia. The thought is that after the month it would then travel to another special needs home with a note and spend a month there as well. They would also take pictures and post them either on a blog, Flickr or Facebook. Everyone's pictures would be on one site and added to by the carer of Mr. Crocodile.

My only thought about this is that he might get lost. What if it goes to someone who cannot send it forward? Does anyone have any thoughts or think they would like to join us in our adventure? I think it would be awesome to join our special needs children together in a special way. What do you think? Do you want to have special time with Mr. Crocodile?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: