Monday, February 7, 2011

Meltdown Control Gives Peace

I have discovered a new way to keep my house calmer. I am not sure how long the novelty will last but for now I figure I better spread the news. Maybe then someone else might find it useful as well. Again, I am not sure how long it will work, but it is totally worth trying it out. My house has been calmer for a week now. That is amazing.

Music has always been a source of comfort to many people. Some people play an instrument and others listen to music. Some can even sing!! My son loves to sing song everything and adores anything that makes sound. Musical instruments make him really happy. This is what prompted me to attempt to ease the school to home transition using a drum. I know, this could backfire right? LOL.. Worst I think could happen is a migraine, minus the bruises. Hey, I get a migraine with the severe melt downs along with many bruises.

I have decided to incorporate the use of a Djembe drum after school. I bought this drum for my boyfriend for Christmas and he has suggested allowing Chucky Cheese to play it. He really lights up and has an infectious smile when he is making music. It is a big part of who he is. I enjoy seeing him so content and it is wonderful to watch him discovering new sounds.

His love for drums is fairly new but was inspired during a meltdown when we discovered that it calmed him. He was able to be aggressive without hurting himself or anyone else. This is a spectacular discovery. I am sure my legs and arms are thankful. His whole attitude and behavior after school seems much better. I am extremely pleased that it is working in this way. Hopefully this will last a while and he will be able to stream his energy towards something very productive.

I would love to get him more musical instruments to explore and eventually I will be able to do this. Hey, you never know, I may just be asked to review a product of this nature (hint hint). Well, I really hope that maybe someone else can try this trick and find it helpful. Coffee cans and popcorn tins work great as drums and you can make a lot of homemade instruments. Enjoy, I know my little man is much happier since I have started this routine.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: