Sunday, February 20, 2011

Coping Skills

Chucky was three before I had any clue as to what was going on with him. I went three years thinking this child didn't like me at all. It was a hard three years so I think when I received a diagnosis I was relieved. There was a reason why he was not attentive to me. It gave me closure and moving forward was so much easier. I instantly found myself researching and looking for methods to help him grow. I never thought about curing him just understanding him. I found myself content with him and happy he was who he was.

Recently, I found myself reliving this nightmare. My oldest son, Buddy, who had a lot of early intervention as a baby, is having immense difficulties in school. He is performing below grade level and doesn't have any friends. I was not blind to the issues at home but I was unaware they were happening at school as well. He cries in school if he drops a pencil and has trouble doing his work as well. I got a phone call from his teacher the other day because she saw his head jerking back and forth. She said it was happening every 5 seconds. This is exactly what I had discovered in December but it had gotten so much better. 

In all actuality, I received three phone calls regarding his head movement. This is concerning. After the calls I scheduled an appointment. The doctor said he feels that Buddy has Tourette's Syndrome. I am not sure how to feel. I knew something was going on with him and the Developmental Pediatrician could not see him for seven months. After the doctor stated this he started talking about medication and that scares me. I do not feel as if medication is entirely bad but I can say that I would prefer to try as many natural treatment methods possible before medicating him. I don't know if that is even possible for Tourette's. I do know that many people do not need medication but it becomes an issue if the tics interfere in their daily life which is the case with my son. 

He has serious difficulties reading and although Math is his strong subject, if he has to really think about the problems his tics get really bad. I also spoke to the nurse and she said that he was having accidents in school. She said that she felt it was happening more after severe episodes of his tics. I am not sure what the significance is if any but it is just a thought. I really am not to educated on this issue, but I will guarantee you that I will have lots to learn and share through this journey. I have already learned that it is common for people with Tourettes to have symptoms that mock ADHD which is what they originally thought was going on with him. Interesting eh? 

I have found a different Developmental Pediatrician and a Neurologist that will see him in March. That is way better than 7 months. I hope we can get answers and better understand what he is going through. When I explained the school issues, home issues and the Tourettes the pediatrician scheduled two consecutive visits to ensure that we can get to the bottom of this. They also sent out packets to fill out regarding ADD and Aspergers. They feel that his symptoms seem very much like these disorders and Tourettes is common with forms of Autism. 

Now that I rambled about all of the jumbled mess I have here, Thanks for being a wonderful support and I hope that you can take something out of my posts that help you in your journey. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: