Sunday, February 13, 2011

How Not To Broil

I am a little embarrassed to admit that while I cook a lot I usually do not broil. Last night however, I decided I was going to broil a steak. My boyfriend would have stuck the steak on a cookie sheet which would ruin the cookie sheet, but I have to say it was so much better than what I did. *cringe*

 Hey, I was never taught how to cook. I just improvise and make it work. No serious catastrophes yet. Nothing like If This Is Motherhood has done. I am invincible, or so I thought. I think the worst thing I ever did was when I was attempting to make lasagna. I didn't think about the possibility that the pan would overflow and my oven caught on fire. So, I ,being my genius self, got the fire extinguisher and spayed my wonderful lasagna and the inside of my oven. It was tough to clean up and two trays of lasagna were destroyed but I didn't burn them.

He had brought home a delicious looking steak and I put it in a glass cassarole dish on the top rack of the oven. That is what you are supposed to do right? All was going well and then I got distracted. I realized and rushed to the oven thinking I must have burned the steak. He came out and said the steak looks great and we bent down to take a look. He then proceeded to flip the steak and that is when it all went wrong.

He lifted the steak up with a fork and the whole dish burst into pieces. There was flying pieces of glass throughout the whole kitchen. It was all over the bottom of my oven and covered the floor. With this new found knowledge I stress you, DO NOT BROIL IN A GLASS PAN. It was not a pretty site, and it took hours to clean up!!!!


Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Erin said...

That happened to my college roommate and I in our first "real" apartment. It's amazing how many pieces those glass dishes break into. I swear we were finding them months later.

24 Paws of Love said...

OMG!! I would not have known that either, until I read your post. Hope nobody got hurt. That must have been some shock!!

Apples and Autobots said...

I tried to comment yesterday, but I couldn't. It wasn't really important. I just wanted to say I was LMAO at you! LOL!

Lisa said...

Cooking...HA! I was a horrific cook.
Once I read and followed the recipe for chocolate chip cookies...
made em' and it called for a teaspoon and a half of soda...wait fot it...I cracked open a can of Diet coke and measured out a teaspoon and a half.
I have come so far from that.
It takes practise...now I rock it in the kitchen.

Loved your post, made me giggle.
Now I want to know what you ate after that?
Take-out?

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I could easily do so much worse lol. Great post. The website looks better every day. You did a great job on the header!

Eric Fischer said...

with the right quality glass cookware you can broil, plus the dish does not have to be all that close to the top, even midway will get the job done.
I learned to cook when I was fifteen because I love good food and my mother spoiled me, she always had a beautiful well made dinner ready even though she was anything but a typical housewife. I tried to pay attention to how she did things and it worked.

jazzygal said...

Oh dear..what a disaster! You sound like my kind of cook...I still don't know precisely what broiling is!!

xx Jazzy

Janet said...

Just use tin foil=) Just line the bottom of the broiler. Thats it, no cookie sheets or glass dishes needed. Just call and ask me Char.

Janet

Melissa said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a mess to clean up. Just in case you didn't know, don't boil in a glass pan. LOL

Unknown said...

Hey Melissa... I didn't boil, I broiled... LOL