Monday, August 1, 2011

Mommy vs "The Tude"

So, today I decided to allow Chipmunk to have a sleepover. We invited her friend Emily to spend the night.  I thought it would be great cause it would keep her occupied. Boy was I wrong. She had such an attitude over Princess playing with her friend. She said E was her friend and should only play with her. I am not talking about a minor hissy fit. She was in tears pouting and yelling at her sister as well as her friend.

As any other "good" mom would do, I mirrored her attitude and told her that maybe we don't need to have sleep overs ever. That just made her more upset. Well, I really had to come up with a natural consequence that would resolve the issue while teaching a lesson.

So, I told Princess she could not play with them and I told Chipmunk that since she had a friend over and wanted her sole attention she could not play with anyone but Emily. This didn't seem to phase her at all at first. She went along playing dolls with E. Then I had to calm Chucky Cheese down cause he loves to play stuffies with E and that was not able to happen under my rules. When Chipmunk heard Chucky going she got very quiet and started to say something but cut herself off saying never-mind.

Do any of your ids do that? Chipmunk has the most annoying habit of starting to say something and stopping mid word as if you had interrupted her and saying ugh.. never mind. But, I never interrupted her or even spoke to give her the feeling I wasn't listening. It really is annoying and I have given up on asking her what she wants, needs or feels. Now I tell her,"When you are ready to talk to me I am here." She hates that comment cause she wants me to beg for info. Nah uh... not happening!! I am stubborn too.

Well, all went well until Chipmunk and E needed a tall person to pick some apples and I chimed in all sweet, "Sorry sweets, you didn't want your sister to play with you two so she cant help you." I suggested she use a stool. As she came in to find it she asked for help so I kindly obliged. I found the stool and called her name. She responded with a "WhhhhAAAATTTT". I was definitely taken back by that tone. I told her she had better tone her voice down with me or I would just send her friend home now and she shrugged her shoulders saying, Fine whatever. I couldn't believe her careless response so I then said,"and, if they want you to sleep over you wont be able too." She still shrugged her shoulders and said fine whatever.

The next statement though that followed right after that blew my mind. She then said,"I will just go home as well." When she says home she is referring to her fathers because we have joint custody but she is primarily there. I didn't even hesitate or flinch at that remark cause Mommy was on a roll. The words slipped of my tongue like water on baby oil. I said, Honey, you are home. She looked at me with a blank stare whipped her body around and walked out side. The look of defeat was clearly written all over her face. I won!!!

Well, the rest of the evening started to look up and in the end they were all playing nicely. I guess the saying,"You never know what you have until its gone", really held true today. I am proud that I managed to hold all my frustration in cause she really was pushing on my final nerve and I noticed when I started to lose my composure the slight grimace of accomplishment on her face. But... Mommy won hands down today!!

No comments: