Friday, September 14, 2012

Special Needs Moms Are Bitches

*Disclaimer:*
This post is not in any way 
to offend anyone. Please read it
fully before getting upset!


This post came to exist as I was chatting with another special needs mom. We were talking about my "new" approaches to the doctors and I said, I sound like a Bitch. Somehow that has lead to this post.


As a special needs mom, I encounter many battles. Battles with my children, doctors, teachers, and even family members. We fight for every service our children need and every right they deserve. We fight for respect and acceptance. All this fighting has made me a Bitch. I have capitalize it cause it is my title. Don't call me Ms. Long, call me Ms. Bitch. I take no offense and I pride myself with that title. I know I am not the only mom who has become a bitch by default. It isn't even just because of the struggles, I now bitch about everything.

For years I bitched that my son wouldn't speak but now I bitch that he won't shut up. Seriously, it really does get annoying when a child continually repeats them selves over and over and over again. It isn't just the repeating because my son, when he talks, takes FOREVER to finish a sentence. It takes so long I describe it as constipation of the mouth! I know many parents would do anything to hear their child talk and most of the time I love hearing it, but sometimes it just gets on my nerves. I am a bitch!! My boys do NOT have volume control either so if they are standing right next to you they still feel the need to shout. Buddy talks loud and non-stop, sometimes so fast you can't understand him. It must sound as if I am being ungrateful but I am not. I am just living up to my title!

Many people say that we are our children's advocate... This is true, but we have to be a bitch to get it done. We can't sit in a room full of highly paid professionals who dont want to give our children what they need and be sweet and kind. We have to fight for what we know is right. When papers get lost or insurance claims denied, we have to fight for justice. All of this fighting becomes a second nature. It isnt just for medical and school stuff, but for ignorance too. I have learned to know when I can be a bitch because a grown adult never learned acceptance.

Having to be a Bitch so often has caused me some issues though. I find myself bitching about everything now. I actually have to monitor myself and calm myself down now. I have bitched because the milk was put in the wrong fridge. The funny thing is there isn't a pre-determined fridge for anything as long as its in the fridge. LOL... Well, I hope I haven't offended anyone and if you ever run into a woman with the front of her hair graying, a 6 yr old screaming and kicking walking with three other children, who looks really bitchy, you have probably met me, or another special needs mom. So please, think about what may have made her so bitchy. She probably has a good reason, I know I do.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is no where near what I thought it would have been but I LOVE it and I have been waiting for this BITCH post! There is so much more but I am PROUD to be in the Special needs Moms are Bitches group! We know how to fight and fight well and hard, we are as determined as our kids sometimes more. I hope to see more of the "Special needs Moms are Bitches"!