Thursday, March 10, 2011

Their Literal World

Charlie Brown Christmas Tree ShoppingImage by K!T via FlickrIt has been a very hectic time for my family so I have taken some time away from blogging. I am trying though and I am constantly thinking about things I want to blog about but can't seem to write it out. I am just so packed with new information and I need time to process and sort it all out. I hope you all understand. As I signed in this morning I noticed that my audience has grown quite a bit and that makes me happy. Are you wondering what topic I am going to rant about today?

Have you ever said something to someone and had it interpreted completely wrong? Imagine hearing everything that way. Children on the spectrum go through this everyday and it must be confusing. A friend that I spoke to said that it is almost like living in a different country and only having a limited knowledge of their language so everything is strange and unorganized. Another friend described it as a Charlie Brown episode and only hearing certain words in a conversation.

I bring this up because the other day my son came home from school really excited and confused. He was telling me a story about his speech therapist and how she had asked him to help her make copies of her copy of the school. He said she lifted the whole school and made a copy of it. I was laughing so hard and got yelled at for laughing. He did not think it was funny at all. He seriously envisioned her lifting the school and putting it on the copy machine. He said she was very strong!

This was a prime example of how literal our children are. I remember when he was little and I had said it was raining cats and dogs and he was looking for the cats and dogs in the sky. It was pretty funny but it also showed me how literal they really are.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: