Monday, March 14, 2011

Having Faith With Special Needs

I went out this weekend to do the Shamrock run with my niece. I was not expecting to run. I thought I was going to watch the parade. Until, my children wanted to be in the run. So, what did I do? I ran and walked in the parade about 2.5 miles with my children. Thankfully my sister was able to take Buddy cause he was tuckered out but my lil man Chucky Cheese walked the whole thing. Except for the times he was carried in between, but, he walked the whole time. LOL.. I think the hardest part was in the beginning when they shot the gun off and Chucky started flapping and spinning and Buddy covered his ears and cried. My poor babies. So I cuddled for a minute and picked Buddy up, almost getting trampled but hey, my babies needed me. Then off we went. It was a bit crowded at first but with how slow my kids went we were soon in open space and it was wonderful. Great exercise for them. So, what is the point of all of this?

I guess, I just wanted to allow you to experience my joy and pride in my boys. They overcame a lot of struggles yesterday and did an amazing job. I think sometimes, as parents with children with special needs, we tend to overprotect or avoid certain situations for a fear of their tolerance. I am not exempt because there are times that I will say nope, can't do that cause he can't handle it. Well, frankly I have been wrong and while they may have had moments it was not nearly as bad as I would have thought. I just want to give the knowledge that your child needs your faith to grow. If you never let them experience things for fear of their reaction, not only will you never know how they will react but they will never learn how to react. 

I know how tough it can be because there may be times that it does NOT work out as you would like but I do know that it is all a learning experience and in order to learn they have to experience. A good example of this would be my latest visit to the doctor with Chucky Cheese. She was amazed at how far he has come in the last couple years. He went from being a totally disconnected child who was entirely non verbal to a verbal one who visits our world much more often. Yes, we have rough days but he has improved and comparing it to last year I am amazed. He really has made a lot of progress. 

To wrap this up I think that we as parents need to give our children the room to grow and explore their world. They need to learn how to maneuver in the world. Make sure that they know you have the confidence in them to achieve whatever they may want to achieve. While they may not reach their goals at least you are supporting them and showing them that you have faith they can achieve them. They will surprise you so keep your minds open.  


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: